SpiderOak – Why it is not working for me
Online cloud storage is a musthave for internet users these days. Personally I use google drive, skydrive and dropbox. Lately I have been experimenting with SpiderOak seeing how the service is being touted as the most secure cloud storage for any files stored online.
There are many online reviews making comparison between SpiderOak and Dropbox for instance. However, none of the reviews mentioned the kind of problems I am currently having with the service. So I can only assume it is my own user errors. That being said, I do not have similar issues with google drive, skydrive and dropbox. Here’s my quick personal review.
- Downloading and installing the SpiderOak application is easy enough. I like the ability to selectively sync and backup files onto the Cloud. The good thing is that it supports network drive which is something dropbox does not support.
- SpiderOak has a funny way for users to administer the files stored in the cloud. By funny I means there is no way I can even rename, move, delete files that are stored in the cloud by using a web browser. The only thing I can do is to download selected files from the cloud. I am not sure why this is a limitation but it is not working out for me.
- SpiderOak’s application is extremely buggy. There are many times some files are stuck at the Queue section. The files are said to be uploading to the cloud but it is deceiving because the files do not get uploaded at all. It seems that this is a known issue as SpiderOak do published a how-to article when something is stuck at the Queue. Read about this here.
- The only way files can be deleted is via the SpiderOak desktop app. Deleting files is a nightmare as the command never get executed. Surely it can’t be that difficult to delete a file 2MB in size on the cloud. At least that’s what I would expect.
- I have accidentally exceed the file storage on my SpiderOak cloud storage. I have a 3GB storage and my current storage is 3.082GB. Now every now and then, the SpiderOak app will pop up to remind me that I have exceeded my storage and I should either increase the storage by upgrading or to remove some files. Removing files from SpiderOak is an impossible task. I can’t do it via the web browser and the SpiderOak app kept saying the files are being purged at the status bar but not doing anything in the background.
So I have to say….SpiderOak is just too hard and is not working for me. I hope other users have better luck than me. To those satisfied users out there, good on you.